Friday, November 7, 2014

My Top 5 Favorite Restaurants in Hong Kong

Since I have embarked on my fitness and health journey, I have been a clean-eating enthusiast and those of you who have been following me for a while would know that I am very strict when it comes to my diet. There have been quite a few questions from those who also live in Hong Kong asking me how I deal with eating out and where do I find healthy food in Hong Kong, given the fact that most local Hong Kong Chinese food is cooked in a very unhealthy, oily and fatty way.
Although I mostly prepare my own meals at home, I do occasionally eat out on weekends/different occasions (I do have a life! ;pp well at least I try to..heh). 
So here I would like to tell you which are my top 5 favorite restaurants I love to go to where I have no problem enjoying a yummy meal but at the same time maintain my clean-eating diet. Sorry to many of my lovely followers who are not based in Hong Kong – but hey, one day if you ever visit Hong Kong, try these restaurants out! They are truly my personal favorite – not only the food but also the environment, décor, and service!
1. Mana! Fast Slow Food Mana is definitely my TOP 1 FAVOURITE place to eat in Hong Kong – I can eat there every single day for every single meal and will never get sick of it! It specializes in serving organic, vegan and raw food (with many gluten-free options) – in another word, all things healthy. Basically if you are a clean-eater, you have no restraints here and you can eat whatever you want from the menu!
Its specialties are for sure the Organic oven-baked flatbreads topped with Zaatar wholemeal, the Mix-and-match Salads, and also their Juices and Shakes. They also have sweet potato fries, healthy vegan burgers and healthy, guilt-free desserts. Plus, the pricing is very reasonable. Does it not sound like a paradise already?
My personal favorite would be i. The Haloumi, Tomato and Mint Flat (MANA! Peace), and ii. the Mix-and-match salad – I always order a large one (HKD95/ ~USD12.3) which is HUMONGOUS. I love it with Chickpeas, Quinoa, Roasted Veggies (Pumpkins, Eggplants, Zucchinis, Cherry Tomatoes), and topped with Grilled Tofu, Grilled Haloumi, and also Hummus sometimes. I would say the portion is for 4-5 people. I would eat half of the flat at the restaurant and a bit of the salad, and then take the salad home and eat it for the next few days (for at least 4-5 more meals). What a good (and healthy) deal!

Organic Vegetarian and Vegan Salad and Flatbread
1. MANA! Peace - Haloumi, Tomato and Mint Flatbread 2. MANA! Mix'n Match Salad (Large)
Organic Vegetarian Salad While Blogging
Mana Mix'n Match Salad (Large) while working on this Blog!
Not only is the food amazing, one of the reasons Mana makes it to the top of my list is the eating environment and the décor. Don’t get me wrong – this is not a fancy, fine-dining restaurant. The furnishing is extremely simple with mainly neutral earth tones. The whole place gives off a very laid-back and “zen” vibe with a feeling of being in harmony with the earth and nature. I love the open space (with all wooden furniture) at the back of the restaurant where you can eat under the natural sunlight. Everything is eco-friendly at Mana, and you can see how they respect the environment by separating waste, recycling, etc.
MANA Decor
MANA's Decor
All I can say is, this place not only nourishes your body, but also your mind and soul. Try it and please let me know if you love it as much as I do!
Website: http://www.mana.hk/ Blog: http://www.mana.hk/blog Address: 92 Wellington St, Central Hong Kong
2. High Street Grill High Street Grill is one hip and chilled-out American Bistro that has an amazingly wide variety of yummy dishes on their menu. Again, it is very good value of money with very decent portions of food. It is a perfect place for me to go with non-clean eaters i.e. my boyfriend haha, because of their huge selection of all kinds of dishes – you can find both normal American food as well as healthy and clean food (and also vegetarian and vegan) , all of them delicious I promise! They also have Breakfast, Brunch, and Set Lunch menus for easy selection.
My favourites would be: i. Sesame Seared Tuna Chunks (was too hungry everytime and couldn't wait to eat it - no photos for now sorry guys - but trust me it is both me and my boyfriend's favorite!) ii. Steak & Eggs Breakfast (150-gr Aussie Strip Loin with 2 eggs – I pick Sunny Side-up. Grilled Tomato and Fresh Rocket)
Steak and Eggs Breakfast
Steak & Eggs Breakfast Set
iii. The Poached Salmon Salad (Poached Salmon Pieces topped with Salsa on Steamed Asparagus and wilted Spinach)
Poached Salmon with Asparagus and Spinach Salad
Poached Salmon Salad
iv. The Blue Swimmer Crab Linguinie (Fresh Crab, Garlic, Chilli, White Wine and Virgin Olive Oil) and the Grilled Chicken Breast (Char Grilled, served with Sweet Potatoes and Brocolli, lemon and thyme) v. The Roasted Pumpkin & Asparagus Salad (with Quinoa, Baby spinach, Fresh mozzarella and Pesto sauce)
This is definitely one of my favourite date night places with my boyfriend! Website: http://www.casteloconcepts.com/our-venues/high-street-grill/ Address: High St, Sai Ying Pun, Hong Kong
3. Life Café Life café is another great organic vegetarian café serving healthy food with an eco-friendly, respecting nature and the environment theme that I love to chill at with my boyfriend and friends. My favorite spot in this restaurant is this little corner that’s on a slightly higher platform where it has some cushions where you can take off your shoes and climb up to the little corner to just relax and chill. If you are looking for a place to read a book or write some blogs – this is the place to be!
My favorite – i. Life Salad: Life mixed baby greens, grated carrot & beetroot, alfalta sprouts, nut & seed mixture, organic hummus, herb dressing, nutritional yeast and Life organic flaxseed crackers
Organic Vegan Vegetarian Salad with Flaxseed Crackers
Life Salad
ii. Eggs Zataar: poached organic free range eggs served on toasted whole wheat foccacia with baby spinach and topped with a middle eastern sesame and herb pesto (zattar) - made with free-range organic eggs and are served with organic sunflower seed toast & roasted potatoes
Poached Eggs Zataar Breakfast
Eggs Zataar



iii. Black Beans Quesadilla: Black Bean Quesadilla filled with veg sausage, cheese, grilled eggplant, caramelized onions, carrot, tomato lime salsa served with mixed baby greens
iv. Organic Chocolate Orange Cookie (All of their homemade cakes & cookies are baked daily using organic wholegrain flour & organic raw sugar. In some of their baking they use alternatives to wheat such as rice, corn & quinoa flours and alternatives to sugar such as organic blue agave & honey.)
Website: http://www.lifecafe.com.hk/ Address: 10 Shelley Street, Soho, Central, Hong Kong (also in Wan Chai and Discovery Bay)

4. Brunch Club & Supper
As its name suggests, this is a cozy and relaxing breakfast and brunch place – although they also serve set dinners too! I myself have not yet tried the dinners there, so I am not in a position to say – but as for the brunch…OH MY GOD. I was addicted to it. So as you all know I do not eat out much because I think home cooking is the best! But I had to meet with a friend a few months back so I went to Brunch Club for the first time and I tried the EGG WHITE FRITTATA (flat Italian style omelette use only egg white), served with tomato chutney, potato, tomato, mushroom, onion, parmesan cheese & chive. It was so yummy that I went back again in a few days and this time I had the Bruschetta with Tomato Salsa & Avocado on Homemade Seed & Nut Rye Bread with olive oil – and this is when I got really obsessed with Brunch Club. IT WAS SO YUMMY (and most importantly, HEALTHY) and very good portion sizes – and only HKD55 (~USD7). Best deal in town I would say. 
Bruschetta with Avocado and Rye Brunch
Bruschetta
So I went back again in a few days and ate the same thing – I went there 3 times in ONE WEEK. That’s how much I love this place (especially the Bruschetta) and I hope you love it as much as I do!
Website: http://www.brunch-club.org/ Address: 13 Leighton Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong (also in Central)

5. Eat Right
Eat Right is more like a fine dining place that serves organic and healthy food. One thing that makes it special is its menus – as it has an in-house nutrition expert, everything on the menu is calorie-counted with all the nutritional values listed out. 
For example, the Baked Salmon Fillet with Beetroot and Organic Quinoa Salad that I tried had: 
kcal 386, protein 32, carbohydrate 33.5, sugar 3.1, total fat 7, fibre 3
Salmon Fillet with Beetroot and Quinoa Salad
Baked Salmon Fillet with Beetroot and Organic Quinoa Salad
And the Moroccan Chicken with Organic Couscous had: 
kcal 495, protein 55.5, carbohydrate 72.4, sugar 6.5, total fat 25.4, fibre 5.5
Moroccan Chicken with Organic Couscous
Moroccan Chicken with Organic Couscous 

How awesome it is to know exactly what you are feeding your body!
In addition, they also have a diet meal delivery plan – the Eat Right Food Programme – that they will plan and cook your meals for you, and have them delivered to you everyday according to your fitness goals / dietary needs. It is not cheap (I did not use it myself) but it is definitely very helpful and time-saving for many busy people who live in such a fast-paced, hustle-and-bustle place like Hong Kong, but at the same time want to maintain a clean-eating lifestyle.
Website: http://www.eatright.com.hk/ Blog: http://eatrighthk.wordpress.com/ Address: 23 Staunton Street SOHO, Central, Hong Kong

One place on my list that I have yet to try is Nood Food – I have only heard good things about it! I cannot wait to try and I will make sure to write a review on it. Let me know where your favorite healthy place to eat out is! Not only in Hong Kong but everywhere around the world – I would love to visit when I have a chance!
Hope you enjoy reading – stay tuned for more health and lifestyle-related posts by subscribing to my blog!
Emi xx @stayfitandtravel

3 comments:

  1. Yum!! All these dishes are looking really very delicious. I have never been there but tasted Hong Kong’s traditional dishes here at the domestic San Francisco restaurants. Truly, love the taste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us valuable information to work on. You have done a marvelous job!....

    Alli Side Effects & Phentermine Side Effects

    ReplyDelete