Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Clean-eating Diet

There have been quite a few requests of a post on what my diet is and what I eat in a day - so here I would like to tell you a bit more about it.


Meal Preparation Healthy Lunch Box with Portion Sizes

By clean-eating, it means that I try to eat only "whole" foods if possible - food that are minimally processed. Junk food such as McDonalds, Potato Chips, Candies (Store-bought) will be a big no-no. Instead, I make my own healthy snacks i.e. guilt-free chocolate cookies (using Raw Cacao - which is chocolate in its purest form).

I also try to cut down any food that is high in refined sugar and unnecessary fat - Instead, I eat food that is naturally sweet and contain healthy fat. An example of this is - when I make pancakes, instead of using processed pancake powder, I make it from scratch by using the least processed flour i.e. Buckwheat floor, and instead of sugar, I use honey or banana that are naturally sweet in their purest forms. I eat as least saturated fats as possible and instead I eat a lot of nuts, avocado that contain healthy fats. I also use coconut oil in my cooking which is one of the healthiest oils with many health benefits.

Many have asked that since I follow Kayla's workout guide - whether I also follow Kayla's nutrition guide? 

I have both Kayla Itsines's Nutrition Guide (H.E.L.P - https://www.kaylaitsines.com.au/guides/) as well as the Insanity Elite Nutrition Guide (http://www.teamunify.com/cast/__doc__/Insanity%20Nutrition%20Guide.pdf)
Both of them are very useful references with a lot of educational info! 
For Kayla's guide, she provides a few examples (of 5 meals for 7 days) and several simple recipes of healthy food to show us how to eat right(: However, please note that it is not an eating plan for 12 weeks - it only provides examples and information such as - how much from each food group you should eat in a day and most important - the education! so you can learn how to eat right YOURSELF. I always go back to the guide to check if I am over-eating - by looking at the portions that Kayla suggested, it is much easier for me to estimate how much I should eat for each meal, especially for dinner which I tend to over-eat all the time.

*Please note that I do not count calories when I eat- for me personally I do not agree with it as a healthy and sustainable way of eating and dieting in the long term - and it totally kills the fun out of eating! and it will also be too much pressure. The way I sometimes try to estimate the amount I eat is to use a plate/ cups to measure approximately how much from each food group for each meal. I only do it once in a few months to remind myself of the portion sizes though. I am too much of a foodie...;p*

Most of the meals and recipes you see here on my blog and Instagram, therefore, are all self-planned/ experimented, depending what I feel like making/ eating that day, and also depending on what I have in my fridge  
I hope you like my recipes (:!

Below is an example of what I eat in a day: I do 5 meals a day - so basically I eat something every few hours to keep my metabolism burning steadily.


Clean Eating Diet daily eating plan
Example of what I eat in a day

Meal 1: BREAKFAST is the most important meal of my day and it is the meal that I allow myself to eat the most! As you can see from my instagram, most photos I post are breakfast photos from smoothies to yogurt, toasts, and pancakes etc. The example here is oatmeal made with Homemade Almond Milk, topped with fresh fruits 

Meal 2: Mid-morning Snack This is normally my post workout meal because I workout mostly in the mornings before work. The example here is homemade guacamole on Rye Toasts 

Meal 3: Lunch! I do meal preparation the night before for my lunch boxes at work everyday. An example here is 1/2 cup of carbs (whole wheat pasta), 80-120g of Protein (Lamb Sticks) , 2 cups of Fibre/ Veggies (Beans and Quinoa Salad - actually a lot of additional protein too). But I have actually started to eat less meat now - I am trying to do only one meat meal in two days! Vegetarian in progress 

Meal 4: Mid-afternoon Snack - an example here is my favorite Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Tortilla Wrap. Crispy and chewy at the same time.. Nom! Also with some nuts and fruits on the side 

Meal 5: Dinner - the one meal that gives me the most headache because I used to eat the most for dinner I could eat 3 bowls of rice wih 2 big plates of meat..but thats in the past and will not happen ever again! It is so important to control your portion size especially for dinner and you should actually eat the least for this meal (comparing to the earlier ones). The example is this yummy Vegetarian Vietnamese Rice Papaer Summer Rolls with Homemade Lime Sauce as a dip so damn good heh

Recipes of all the food will be uploaded later on (or you can also find them on my instagram!)

Hope you find this post useful - stay tuned for more fitness, diet and clean-eating tips, by subscribing to my blog!

Emi xx
@stayfitandtravel

27 comments:

  1. Oh dear you have no idea how helpful that is. I needed precise informations regarding the way other BBG girls were organizing their diet/meals. Precious guidelines right there, as per usual since i stumbled upon your IG i will make your ways my ways too, hehe. No kidding, i did not know how to get this right, i felt like i was doing something wrong. I mean i see results, i guess i just want to be done with picking the widest teeshirt to the gym so nobody notices the fat. Now that you wrote these guidelines for a healthy and yummy diet, that's pressure i can just...pssssh out.
    Just one mor question though, at what time do you wake up and have breakfast?
    Anyways, thanks a bunch for this blog. You truly are a kind and positive and giving soul.
    Annabelle (@annanabs on IG)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome sweetie! I am glad it helps because it was also my biggest headache when I first started my fitness journey! And i totally understand what you mean - my goal is to be able to wear a cropped sports bra at the gym - right now i still dont have the confidence to do that so i just wear weird t-shirts haha. For my waking up time..its a bit weird haha because i need to go to the gym in the morning before work (I don't have time after work) so I actually have to wake up every morning at 5am to prepare my breakfast (take photos of them HAHA) and then go to the gym before work - but it is totally not health-related! I do not think the time when you eat breakfast matters too much (:
      and thank you again for your kind words <3 mean the world to me!

      Delete
  2. Hi Emi, how you reheat your lunch box? Using Microwave oven? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I took the food out and reheat them in glass bowls (from my office) in microwave. My office actually has steamers too but I am too lazy to because steamers take at least 30-45 minutes to reheat the food!

      Delete
  3. Hey! This is a great post (and blog!)
    Any tips for cooperating with the food your parents cook/ buy?
    Also, i find it so hard to start a new diet or start eating clean and not fall off the band wagon when i see food i am cutting myself off from. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! hmm thats a difficult question for me to answer because I am very lucky - all the food you see here is for what the family eats. And if you have read about my healthy grocery list post, thats actually our family grocery shopping list too haha we all do clean eating. a lot of the recipes here you are cooked by my mum too (: so I am sorry to not be able to answer your question - I would say, maybe try to influence them to do clena-eating too? ;p

      Delete
  4. Hi Emi, I eat at least five small meals a day so that I would not go hungry every few hours or so. My last meal would be around 7-7:30 pm. I often find myself waking up at 1-3 am
    Hungry. In this case do I wake up to eat something or wait until I wake up around 7 am to eat? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say- the best is to increase your portion of each meal. you wake up feeling hungry probably because you do not eat enough throughout the day and especially at dinner (:

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Emi! I was just wondering if it's okay that I follow the 1 to 7 day nutrition guide that Kayla wrote in her H.E.L.P. guide?? I switched up just some of the foods she put in some of the meals by looking at the substitution chart, but I'm trying to follow the guide for 12 weeks. Is that bad? Because I know you said it's not an eating plan for 12 weeks, but I thought that it was :( (Unless you meant that it's a general guide that can be altered in your favor) I mean I know that you can switch up some of the foods like I do, but I thought it'd be good to generally follow those 7 days until I finish BBG. Do you think that's okay? Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! For sure!! It is written by Kayla and of course it is perfect if you can follow it (: for me I just like to make my own food with a lot of variety but i think it will be perfect to follow her guide if you can(;

      Delete
  7. Hi Emi :)
    I got to week 8 of the bbg but my diet wasn't the best and I was getting hardly any results so I restarted. I tried to follow Kayla's meal plan but it got harder because it's just eating the same meals over again, even using the alternatives she provides. So I've been trying to make my own meal plan all week but it never seems to work because I get anxious about if I'm eating to much.
    I was reading through you blog today and how you made your own meal plan and I was wondering if you could give me some tips on how I can make a meal plan to achieve the best results? I'm really trying but its so stressful! xx
    P.s Do you think it matters if we don't get all of the food group servings in? Like for example; only having 4 grains a day instead of 6?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! To be honest, now i just eat whatever i feel like (but as healthy as possible, with a decent amount - enough to fuel my workouts!) I never count anything anymore as i found it to be not very sustainable and would evenutally lead to binge eating because it's just impossible to live my life counting all the food I eat, not being able to eat a lot of yummy food and etc. Now that I am a lot more relaxed, I actually see even more progress because I am less stressed, I am happier, and my workouts are also more effective (: hope this helps and merry christmas!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for the info & replying! And I agree, counting calories is exhausting and I'm trying to stop. Merry Christmas to you too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello emi :) firstly I would want to say what an inspiration you are to me. I've stumbled upon your instagram account a few days ago and I must say your take on this new lifestyle is truly remarkable and inspiring. I've recently adopted this new healthy lifestyle and the most difficult part for me is the clean eating!!! I used to suffer from anorexia which lead to bulimia and binge eating. I realized that I could no longer live like this and hence decided to adopt a lifestyle that was both doing good to my body and most importantly sustainable. I've read your posts and I have a few questions since I'm pretty new to this lifestyle. Firstly, would you recommend eating fruits with every meal? (Especially after dinner because I tend to get cravings after dinner) secondly, do you consider breakfast spreads such as peanut butter and nutella a cheat meal? (I only take organic peanut butter due to the hydrogenated fats in regular peanut butter but my love for nutella is insatiable haha.) Thirdly, if you were to use these spreads in a meal what is the recommended amount you think I should take especially since I'm a beginner? I'm afraid that if I cut it out totally it might lead to a binge one fine day. I'm so sorry if this post is lengthy. You are such an inspiration to me and hopefully I can be like you one day. Hope you had a lovely Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! (: thank you so much for your kind words babe (: I will try my best to answer your questions - no I do not recommend eating fruits with every single meal because as healthy as fruits are, they still contain sugar and it's easy to eat too much sugar in one day. For me I only eat fruits during breakfast. If you only eat a very small amount of fruits together with every single meal then it's okay - just becareful of the total amount of fruits you eat in a day. and second - I LOVE NUTELLA TOO. Now I am eating a organic chocolate peanut butter so its a bit like nutella - SO YUMMY you can try (I have one from 100%NUTZ and one from PB2 - you can take a look at these two brands). The recommended amount from nutrition guides is very little i.e. 2 tsp but thats too little for me hahaha i spread it on my bread until its all covered LOLOL i think its fine - I do not want to be too strict because like you said - it might lead to a binge one day (it happened to me, you can read my post http://stayfitandtravel.blogspot.hk/2014/12/cheat-meals-okay-or-not.html - I also had a slight bullimia problem). Thank you again and I also hope you had an amazing christmas (: happy new year !!! xx

      Delete
  10. Hello:) thanks for your post!!! So do you recommend me follow kayla's nutrition guide? Im afraid that there is to much carbs
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use her guide as a reference and i planned my own meals (: you can find more details on my blogpost above xxx

      Delete
  11. Hi Emi, do you eat breakfast (meal 1) before workout or after?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Vivian - I eat before my workouts! You can find my daily schedule (including wokrouts and diet) at my blog post http://stayfitandtravel.blogspot.hk/2014/11/my-daily-schedule-workouts-and-diet.html xx

      Delete
  12. Hi Emi!! I got a little question for you. How many grams or calories from carbs do you eat in a day ( approximately) ???
    I aks you this because im trying to change my eating habits ln order to improve my health and also my body and this food group is the one that gives me more headaches!!! :( i really dont know how to manage the porcions from carbs in a day. I'll be waitting for your answer!!!!! It would be very helpfull for me!!!!Bye😃😃😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Daniela! I do not count any calories or grams (or my own weight) because i do not believe these numbers are a healthy and sustainable way to track a fitness journey x

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,

    Would you say you ate 6 servings of grains during the weightlos period? 1 serv being 1/2 cup of rice, quinoa, pasta, 1 slice of bread etc?

    ReplyDelete
  15. With nutritional guidelines and recipes designed to make family meals simple, healthy, and delicious, this indispensable guide shows how to make a nutrition plan for each member of the family, set realistic goals, achieve and maintain a healthy weight, make fitness fun, and eat healthy at home or at restaurants.

    ReplyDelete